DIY Industrial Coffee Table
DIY

Industrial Coffee Table

You know those projects that make you do a little happy dance when you finish them? This is one of those! Except I would be lying to you if I didn’t give my husband pretty much all of the credit here. I am super thankful that he is more than willing to help me out in some of my DIY adventures, and he never complains! At the same time I am saving us lots of money by doing knockoff projects like this one, so he really can’t object, can he?! I have wanted one of these industrial, wood top coffee tables every since I saw this one in a Home Decorators catalog. Problem is, it was way out of my budget. So as any DIY’er would do, I decided to attempt to make my own! I mean, that is what I love to do best!

I have seen some of my fellow bloggers make some great knockoff versions of this table (AKA Design HERE & Thimble and Cloth HERE), so I knew it could be done nicely! I also knew I would need some assistance building it, so I recruited my husband to take a trip to our local hardware store to price materials needed. We loaded up the car, headed home and got to work!

SUPPLIES NEEDED:

(Affiliate links are provided below for your convenience.  For more information, see my full disclosure here.)

DIRECTIONS:

• We took advantage of our local hardware stores cutting center, and had the 2 8ft 2×6’s cut in half to give us our 4 wood planks that make up the top of the table
  • We also had them cut 2 of the 8ft 2×2’s in half to give us our 4 48in top and bottom of frame
  • Once we got home we used our miter saw to make the smaller cuts: 5 of the 2×2’s 20in a piece; 4 for the top and bottom sides of the frame, and 1 for the middle to support the planked table top. Also, 4 of the 2×2’s 12in a piece for the legs. (All cuts pictured below)

Industrial Coffee Table

• When assembling the frame, the position of the screws were kind of tricky since there were 2 2.5in screws being drilled into each of the 8 corners in very close proximity. We just made sure they wouldn’t run into each other, as pictured below. 2 additional screws were used to attached the middle support piece.

Industrial Coffee Table

•  I sanded and used my favorite Dark Walnut wood stain on the planked table top. Usually this type of table has a metal frame, but since welding metal is a little out of my element (hehe), I used two coats of Ebony wood stain on the wooden legs, which actually gave it the slight metallic look I was hoping for.  I used polyurethane to seal the stains.

Industrial Coffee Table

– The remaining 12 screws were used to attach the planked table top to the top 20in pieces of the frame, 3 screws per plank. We flipped the table over to complete this part from the underneath so the screws would be hidden. (NOTE: We spaced out the planks a tiny bit on the top so they would be flush in width to the frame).

Industrial Coffee Table

And alas! I had my very own Industrial Coffee Table! Do you want to know the BEST part??? This project costs under $75.00!!! Ummm…yes please! I’ll take that amount over an expensive table any day. This was a huge win in budget decorating! And how great does it look in our living room?

Industrial Coffee Table

Big thanks to the hubby for all his hard work on this one! I am now debating matching side tables….

• Reply Colleen April 13, 2016 at 6:43 am

I absolutely LOVE this!! It fits so perfectly in your room! Thank you so much for the great directions, I may have to do this one 🙂
    Colleen recently posted…Glass Jar Centerpiece with an Adirondack TwistMy Profile

• Reply Ashley Broviak April 13, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Thank you so much for the kind comments! I hope you do try it! Xo!

• Reply Katie April 13, 2016 at 8:06 am

This turned out sooooooo good!

• Reply Brittany April 13, 2016 at 1:33 pm

This looks so good. At first glance I definitely thought the bottom was metal!

• Reply Lori April 25, 2016 at 6:44 am

This is so cool looking! Great job! Would you consider sharing at our link party! I really think our readers would love this!

• Reply Interesting DIY Coffee Tables That are Worth Checking Out September 8, 2016 at 12:01 pm

[…] Industrial Coffee Table from littleglassjar.com […]

• Reply SueS September 10, 2016 at 4:21 pm

I am really confused by the math and wonder what am I missing? 4 2×6 boards would actually make the table top 22 inches wide (since a 2×6 is really 1.5 x 5.5). If the 2×2’s underneath are actually 1.5 x 1.5, wouldn’t the width of 20 inches plus 1.5 plus 1.5 bring the total 2×2 width to 23 inches? How does the top not look narrower than the frame?

• Reply Andrea October 25, 2016 at 5:36 pm

That’s a good question. Did you ever get a reply?

• Reply Ashley Broviak October 25, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Sorry for the delay in answering! I should have disclaimered that all wood is not cut exact, but to make up for the difference in the table top, we just spaced out the 2×6’s with a small gap in between each one so it would match up with the frame. Make sense? Hope this helps! 🙂

• Reply DIY COFFEE TABLE - Grace and Thane October 30, 2016 at 12:22 pm

[…] I remembered another pin I’d saved from Little Glass Jar. I adapted the build plans from her DIY Industrial Coffee Table post to help me recreate the modern southwestern table. Easy […]

• Reply anna November 23, 2016 at 2:05 am

So beautiful room, table, colors!… Please can tell me what color is your wall?

• Reply Lina December 19, 2016 at 5:51 am

Thank you for the inspiration and the great tutorial. I made one just like it! http://redesignbylarras.blogspot.com/2016/12/industrial-coffee-table.html

• Reply Favorite Posts of 2016 - Little Glass Jar December 28, 2016 at 12:01 am

[…] DIY Industrial Coffee Table […]

• Reply Brooke December 30, 2016 at 3:27 pm

Love this table! Directions were great. My hubby and dad made it for me. It seemed a bit wabbly for us so we added an angled pieces on the end. We have kids so I wanted make it really sturdy. Thanks for the wonderful directions.

• Reply Ashley Broviak January 5, 2017 at 12:26 am

Yay! I’m so glad it worked for you! Ours is a tiny bit wobbly too, adding the angled pieces is a great idea if you have kids or pets that might bump up against it! Thanks so much for sharing! 🙂

• Reply Marcy L January 3, 2017 at 11:52 pm

In love with this table! Great job! I’m in the same boat with budget 🙂 can you tell me where you found the select pine for the base? I tried Home Depot but didn’t have any luck for some reason.

Thanks!
    Marcy

• Reply Ashley Broviak January 5, 2017 at 12:35 am

Hi Marcy! We found the select pine at Home Depot, strange yours didn’t have them! It was actually the only hardware store around our area that had them, I know Lowes didn’t. Maybe try a different location near you, if that is an option? Hope this helps!

• Reply Marcy Livingston January 5, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Thanks Ashley! I ended up finding some at lowes! Apparently that kind wasn’t available at Home Depot for at least 100 miles! So weird!

• Reply Kelly January 7, 2017 at 10:29 pm

I love your table and your sofa. Do mind me asked where you purchased this sofa?

• Reply Ashley Broviak January 12, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Thank you! I bought the sofa many many years ago from Ashley Furniture 🙂

• Reply 20 Easy & Free Plans to Build a DIY Coffee Table - DIY & Crafts January 15, 2017 at 2:03 pm

[…] Build industrial style wooden coffee table at home! Stare a little at this given sample! A mind-blowing hand-built wooden table with box style base! Finished for a rustic look and is a delight to view in a living room! Complete guide and DIY tutorial here littleglassjar […]

• Reply Jack Mommee January 15, 2017 at 9:54 pm

How sturdy is this? I feel like with any horizontal force it would crumble as there are no braces. Looks awesome, just wondering.

• Reply Ashley Broviak January 19, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Thanks! I think its rather sturdy! You could always add some more support if you don’t think so, but we haven’t had any issues so far 🙂

• Reply DIY |Weekend Wife| - DIY Wood Coffee Table January 22, 2017 at 4:26 pm

[…] wood coffee table that I want to share with you guys today.  You can find the original tutorial here on Little Glass Jar Blog. The tutorial was good, and to be honest all my husband and I needed were the measurements and we […]

• Reply Adriance Rhoades May 15, 2017 at 6:47 pm

Hi, I was wondering which finish you used of polyurethane? Satin, semi-glossy, etc.? Thanks so much!