Room Reveal

Farmhouse Pantry Makeover

Shiplap has finally made an appearance in the Little Glass Jar household! It’s very minor, but it’s there! I wanted to test the waters with a small space before committing to an entire wall, or a whole room for that matter. And you guys, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Meaning now I want to shiplap the entire house! The walls, the ceiling, the floor.  HA! Maybe not the floor, but you get the idea. My poor husband! Seriously though, we shiplapped the inside of our pantry for our Farmhouse Pantry Makeover and it looks amazing. I have wanted to redo this space for a million years with this exact plan in mind and we finally got around to doing it a few weekends ago.

Farmhouse Pantry Makeover

There are more than enough tutorials online for how to get the faux Fixer Upper shiplap look. I went with [this] awesome video tutorial from one of my favorite DIY bloggers Jenna, from Jenna Sue Design. Again, there are so many ways of doing this with different types of wood and methods, but this is the one that worked best for us, and it was super affordable.

Here is the reality of the before:

Farmhouse Pantry Makeover

SUPPLIES NEEDED:

For Shiplap

• 2 sheets 8x4ft plywood underlayment at 1/4in thick
  • Miter Saw
  • Hand Sander
  • Nail Gun and Nails
  • 2 Nickels (used for spacers)
  • Level
  • White Paint
  • Paintbrush/Paint Pail

For Shelves

• 1inx8in white wood (for top of shelves)
  • 1inx2in white wood (for top of shelves)
  • 2inx3in white wood (for side support)
  • Miter Saw
  • Dark Wood Stain
  • Stud Finder
  • Drill
  • 3 inch Screws
  • Drywall Anchors
  • Level

INSTRUCTIONS:

For Shiplap

-We headed to our local Home Depot, and picked out a few 8x12ft sheets of plywood underlayment at ¼ inch thick for $11.97 a piece. We took both sheets to the cutting center at the back of the store and had their fabulous employees cut the plywood into 6 inch wide strips since our cabinet measure exactly 66 inches in height.

-We also picked up white paint and some 1x8in, 1x2in, & 2x3in pieces of white wood for our DIY shelves.

-When we got home we measured and used our miter saw to cut the 6 inch plywood strips to the length needed for all three pantry walls. Afterwards, I sanded all of the cut edges of the plywood smooth with my hand sander.

Farmhouse Pantry Makeover via Little Glass Jar

-We started with the 6 inch plywood strips on the middle wall and worked our way from bottom to top. Using my nail gun, I put 3 nails in the left side, the middle, and the right side of each wood strip when securing the shiplap to the wall. Once the first strip was done, it was all downhill from there. Simply use a nickel at each end as your spacers, setting another board on top of them and using your level to make certain they are straight, and your nail gun to secure them each to the wall.  Repeat over and over!

Farmhouse Pantry Makeover via Little Glass Jar

Once all three walls were completed, I painted over the plywood with white paint. I had to use about 4 coats to get a solid coverage, but it was well worth it! My Handy Paint Pail was a lifesaver during this project, since I had to actually climb into the pantry to paint, so not having to get out every time I needed more paint was super convenient!

Farmhouse Pantry Makeover via Little Glass Jar

[FYI: You can use wood filler or putty  to fill in any shiplap seems or nail holes you don’t want seen, but I love the rougher look so I chose not to.]

For Shelves

-Our pantry measured 23 inches deep and 39 inches wide, so for the side supports of the wood shelves, we used our miter saw and cut the 2x3in’s into 18 inch pieces for the side supports. For the actual shelf tops, we cut the 1x8in & 1x2in into 39 inch pieces.

-I stained all of the wood pieces for the shelves with my favorite dark wood stain and let them dry thoroughly.

Farmhouse Pantry Makeover via Little Glass Jar

-Because we were replacing wire shelves with heavier wooden ones, we wanted to assure these shelves would be attached to studs for adequate support. We used a stud finder and marked the wall where we found the studs. Unfortunately, our pantry only had two (um, really!?), so we had to use drywall anchors in the areas lacking them.

-Using our drill, we attached the wooden 2x3in side supports with 3 inch screws, making sure to drill directly into the studs or the drywall anchors.

Farmhouse Pantry Makeover via Little Glass Jar

[FYI: As you can tell in the above picture, white walls and stained wood don’t mix well, so I had to do ALOT of touch ups with my white paint after installing the shelves! But again, well worth it!]

-Once all six side supports were attached to our newly shiplapped pantry walls, we just set one 1x8in, then a 1x2in, then another 1x8in to get the total 18 inch shelves, on top to create the finished shelf. We choose not to screw them into the side supports, but rather just let them sit on top just in case we wanted to take them out at any point.

Farmhouse Pantry Makeover via Little Glass Jar

And then the fun part, decorating! But, who decorates their pantry? I do! I have been collecting different jars and baskets to do this pantry makeover for a long time. And I absolutely love the end result! What do you think!?

She’s pretty, isnt she?

• Reply Emma May 25, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Love love love

• Reply Ardith May 25, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Great job! Who knew a pantry could look so cool, so rustically beautiful. Cheers, Ardith

• Reply Rachel Hale May 25, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Looks great!!!!! Now I want to try out shiplap!

• Reply Ashley Broviak May 25, 2016 at 3:58 pm

It is SO SIMPLE! You should absolutely try it out girl, it makes a huge impact!

• Reply Meg May 25, 2016 at 9:31 pm

This. Is. Gorgeous! What an amazing transformation, Ashley!

• Reply Michelle May 25, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Love it! Pinned it! Hope to try it some day soon!

• Reply Ashley Broviak May 26, 2016 at 6:57 pm

You absolutely should try it out! Thanks for stopping in!

• Reply Lauren May 25, 2016 at 9:51 pm

Looks amazing, Ashley! I would LOVE to do this to my pantry one day. Love that shelving!

• Reply Ashley Broviak May 26, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Thanks so much sweet friend! I am dying to see your kitchen all done girl! XO!

• Reply Allison May 25, 2016 at 10:46 pm

Obsessed!

• Reply Katie May 26, 2016 at 10:38 am

This is the prettiest pantry! I love the rustic shelves mixed with the white shiplap!

• Reply Ashley Broviak May 26, 2016 at 6:58 pm

Oh my, that is the best compliment ever! Thanks girl!

• Reply Bobbie Melosi May 27, 2016 at 7:27 am

Ashley,

BEAUTIFUL! And yes, a pantry can be beautiful! Love it!

~Bobbie

• Reply Sonya Moore June 15, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Love this, beautiful job! Have you considered putting in a glass door so you can enjoy seeing it all the time?

• Reply Ashley Broviak June 16, 2016 at 11:46 pm

Oh my gosh! YES! I love that idea! I just need to find the perfect door to fit there now!

• Reply Sonya Moore June 17, 2016 at 4:28 am

Oh, I’d love to see a picture if you do it! I’m thinking one that has glass in just the top half. You could cut out the existing panel and have seeded glass put in, but going on a treasure hunt to find a vintage one would be more fun!

• Reply Natalija June 17, 2016 at 8:19 pm

What kind of stain did you use? I’ve been attempting that color for a while now & can’t get it right.

• Reply Ashley Broviak June 19, 2016 at 9:00 pm

It’s Minwax Dark Walnut! My favorite stain to use on just about EVERYTHING!

• Reply Patrice June 24, 2016 at 5:47 pm

Oh my goodness! This looks absolutely incredible! I can’t wait to see the other DIYs that you have done.
    I just found your website and am totally obsessed already!

• Reply Ashley Broviak July 5, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Oh my goodness, how sweet are you! So glad you found me! Welcome! And thank you so much for the great compliment!

• Reply 10 Creative Ways to Decorate With Shiplap | Schneiderman's {the blog} June 29, 2016 at 5:41 pm

[…] Little Glass Jar […]

• Reply Carli July 5, 2016 at 1:42 pm

So beautiful! Love the addition of the shiplap! found you via thriftydecorchick

• Reply Ashley Broviak July 5, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Thank you so so much Carli! So glad you found me from Thrifty Decor Chick too! XO!

• Reply Make it Pretty Monday - Week 183 - The Dedicated House July 11, 2016 at 8:02 pm

[…] a transformation and it’s shiplap!  Fly on over to Little Glass Jar to see how she created this […]

• Reply Debbie July 12, 2016 at 8:19 am

Love this.

• Reply DO IT YOURSELF SHELVING SOLUTIONS - PLACE OF MY TASTE July 13, 2016 at 7:58 am

[…] Farmhouse Pantry Makeover from Little Glass Jar […]

• Reply 6 DIY Shelving Solutions | Work it Wednesday No. 156 | The Turquoise Home July 13, 2016 at 8:00 am

[…] Farmhouse Pantry Makeover from Little Glass Jar […]

• Reply Jenny G. July 13, 2016 at 9:51 am

Perfection! I have never left a comment before, but I just had to. Your tutorial and all of the photographs are terrific! Now I can go to the hardware store and bring it all home for hubby to install…he can’t say no if I’ve got all the materials right? Thank you for the great post!

Where did you get the little wreath hanging on the door?

• Reply Ashley Broviak July 16, 2016 at 8:39 pm

You are so kind! And I mean, I don’t think he can say no if you already have everything needed….shopping for the stuff is the hardest part isn’t it!? Lol! The wreath is just a little grapevine wreath that I stuffed with some fake greenery and hung over a basket top! Random, right?

• Reply Kathy July 16, 2016 at 6:21 pm

O.K. this is fabulous! I love the stained shelves against the white shiplap. Thanks for the inspiration, I just may have to revamp my pantry! Great, great job!

• Reply Ashley Broviak July 16, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Thanks Kathy! You are so sweet! I sure hope you do, it makes a world of a difference!

• Reply Karen July 21, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Very creative! I think it’s time for my wire shelving to be replaced! Clever ship lap idea, too.

• Reply Ashley Broviak July 28, 2016 at 8:15 pm

Thank you Karen! It makes me want to repeat this in all of my closets now too! Hate that wire stuff!

• Reply Crystal July 22, 2016 at 9:05 am

Love it! I just might be a copycat! Can you explain what the wood on the very bottom is for? I can’t quite figure it out.

• Reply Ashley Broviak July 28, 2016 at 8:19 pm

I hope you do! So that wood on the bottom is just a few pieces of the same board we used for the shelves, we just sat it on the awkward bottom “bumpout” part to make it flow a little better. Its not mailed or anything either. Our pantry is kind of awkward since it doesn’t go all the way down to the floor!

• Reply Munchkin Time July 23, 2016 at 10:17 am

Wowza! This makeover looks so amazing totally a different look now! I love how your shared step by step pictures so helpful, pinning!
    Munchkin Time recently posted…A to Z Magnatab Fun Tablet for KidsMy Profile

• Reply Ashley Broviak July 28, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Awesome! Thank you so much for the sweet comment and for stopping by!

• Reply 20 Farmhouse Style Decor Ideas & Projects - Craft-O-Maniac July 25, 2016 at 11:30 am

[…] Little Glass Jar | Farmhouse Pantry […]

• Reply Kim August 3, 2016 at 10:09 am

great job! it’s too pretty to hide behind the door…. thinking, a glass door? to see through this beautiful pantry?

• Reply Ashley Broviak August 23, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing! Maybe I need to keep an eye out for one!

• Reply Karon January 13, 2017 at 7:39 am

Or an old fashioned screen door would look great. Beautiful job!

• Reply Tina August 8, 2016 at 4:57 pm

I LOVE it and my pantry is decorated too.

• Reply Vanessa August 15, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Gorgeous pantry makeover Ashley! Wow, it’s a small pantry for sure but you glammed it up. I love and I enjoyed looking around your lovely blog and would love for you to share this great post at a linky party I am co-hosting. I hope to see you there. http://diy180site.blogspot.com/2016/08/dishing-it-and-digging-it-link-party-109.html
    Vanessa recently posted…Dishing It and Digging It Link Party #109My Profile

• Reply Ashley Broviak August 23, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Thank you so much for all of the kind comments! I will definitely have to stop by your link party and check it out!

• Reply allison September 1, 2016 at 7:10 am

Nice job. I would ditch the door and enjoy looking at it every time I walked by

• Reply Ashley Broviak September 7, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Hehe, I agree with you! Hopefully I make that happen sometime in the near future 😉

• Reply Lisa September 4, 2016 at 9:22 pm

I have never heard of shiplap but I will be shiplapping soon! You have motivated me Miss Ashley. Absolutely LOVE this look. Thanks for sharing your creativity so others like me can “steal” your idea!

• Reply Ashley Broviak September 7, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Oh Lisa, you are too kind! This makes my day. And yes, shiplap is the BEST!

• Reply 6 DIY Shelving Solutions - The Happy Housie September 5, 2016 at 11:27 am

[…] Farmhouse Pantry Makeover from Little Glass Jar […]

• Reply Sara walker May 18, 2017 at 9:55 am

What color stain did you use and how many coats did you do?

• Reply Ashley Broviak June 12, 2017 at 10:02 pm

I used Minwax Dark Walnut, I believe just one coat 🙂

• Reply The Best Ways to Imitate the Coveted Look of Shiplap — Apartment Therapy | Jonathan Wilhoite Blog September 12, 2016 at 10:54 am

[…] (Image credit: Little Glass Jar) […]

• Reply The Best Ways to Imitate the Coveted Look of Shiplap — Apartment Therapy – Recipes For Acid Reflux September 12, 2016 at 10:58 am

[…] (Image credit: Little Glass Jar) […]

• Reply Christian October 6, 2016 at 2:50 pm

Looks great Ashley. After some time have the boards started to sag?

• Reply Ashley Broviak October 25, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Thanks so much! They haven’t sagged at all! I think they might be too short so not a ton of weight in the middle, and if you were to do longer ones you could always add a support to the back as well! 🙂

• Reply Debbie October 20, 2016 at 8:28 pm

I’m in the middle of doing this. I didn’t do the shiplap look, but my Chip & Jo guy (he’s that awesome) used 100+ year old trees lost in a tornado for my shelving. I stained it using Minwax Driftwood and waxed with Fiddes & Sons Clear & Jacobean Wax. They are YUMMY! Still a little bit to do – including touch up on the white, but it is fabulous. Also going to have hinged barnhouse doors.

• Reply Ashley Broviak October 25, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Oh my goodness, this sounds amazing!!!!! All of my favorite things in one place! Would love to see the finished result! Thanks so much for sharing!

• Reply Farmhouse Pantry Makeover: Ship Lap and Stained Cabinets… – XmasGive.com – DIY & Home Decor Ideas January 2, 2017 at 10:18 pm

[…] Previous Previous post: Lumber Rack | Lumber rack based mostly on Fashionable Woodworking's &quo… Search for: […]

• Reply Farmhouse Pantry Makeover – Little Glass Jar – XmasGive.com – DIY & Home Decor Ideas January 4, 2017 at 11:15 pm

[…] Previous Previous post: Make Terrariums Galore in Beneath 1 Hour Search for: […]

• Reply Farmhouse Pantry Makeover: Ship Lap and Stained Shelves… – Best Home Decorating Ideas January 6, 2017 at 2:23 pm

[…] Source: littleglassjar.com […]

• Reply Proof You Should Put Shiplap in a Pantry — Pantries to Pin | Caribbean Blogz January 11, 2017 at 11:33 am

[…] the full transformation: Farmhouse Pantry Makeover at Little Glass […]

• Reply Proof You Should Put Shiplap in a Pantry — Pantries to Pin January 11, 2017 at 11:34 am

[…] (Image credit: Little Glass Jar) […]

• Reply Maureen Burke January 12, 2017 at 3:35 am

Looks beautiful but … I’d think carefully before using shiplap on larger areas – painting will drive you crazy! we’ve used a lot of it in 2 houses we’ve renovated and while it’s great to cover all types of surfaces painting is slow and requires many coats. We’ve also limewashed and that’s by far the best way to go 🙂

• Reply Ashley Broviak January 12, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Yes, I’ve totally heard all the stories about how many coats these take! I don’t think we’ll do any really large walls, but I wouldn’t mind doing a few closets or something. Baby steps right? Lol.

• Reply 13 Creative Home Decor Projects That Utilize Shiplap - Breaking News Now January 12, 2017 at 5:07 pm

[…] Even the tiniest spaces in your home can become stunning with a bit of […]

• Reply 13 Awesome Ways To Use Shiplap Around Your Home | Buzz Feed Viral January 12, 2017 at 5:32 pm

[…] Even the tiniest spaces in your home can become stunning with a bit of […]

• Reply 13 Awesome Ways To Use Shiplap Around Your Home | 마이핫뉴스|MYHOTNEWS January 12, 2017 at 5:36 pm

[…] Even the tiniest spaces in your home can become stunning with a bit of […]

• Reply deanna pucci January 17, 2017 at 7:43 am

Question. What is the cream metal box. I have seen pictures before and wondered…antique bread box?

• Reply Ashley Broviak January 19, 2017 at 5:58 pm

Yep! Its an old metal bread box! We actually keep our trash bags in it and it works great. I am a sucker for antiques!

• Reply 5 Tips for a Gorgeous and Organized Pantry January 23, 2017 at 11:46 am

[…] Source: Little Glass Jar  […]

• Reply Sara St. Clair June 15, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Looks so beautiful!!! I’m so excited for you, Ashley. Now confess…since completing the project, how many times a day do you go in the kitchen just to look at the beauty inside that pantry? Love, love, love!

(BTW, you may wish to separate your onions from your potatoes. They will stay fresher longer. There is something about the gases they emit that will make them rot more quickly. I learned that the hard way….and it stinks when it happens. Literally!)

• Reply Ashley Broviak June 21, 2017 at 9:52 pm

Haha! I did do that for a while if we are being honest 🙂 And I actually didn’t know this about the potatoes and onions! Thanks for the tip Sara!!! 🙂