DIY

Industrial Stool Nightstands

I keep saying our guest bedroom is almost done, but for real, it is so so close! If you’ve seen pictures of it in previous posts then you’ve probably already noticed that I’ve used some metal industrial stools as the nightstands in there. Well my husband and I found these at Sam’s Club nearly a year ago on sale for only $14 a piece! I literally stood in the aisle for ten minutes staring at the price sign to make sure I was seeing it correctly. These stools usually go for $40-$60 a piece easy, so we bought four of them, even though we have no where to put them. I mean, you can’t pass up on a deal like that!

Industrial Stool Nightstands

I temporarily put them in the guest bedroom until we could find legit nightstands, but then they started to grow on me. I love love love the modern farmhouse look, and that is exactly how this room is coming together. Since I decided to keep the stools in there, I came up with an idea to somehow build a little shelf on the bottom crossbars of the stool, so I could decorate them, and so guests would have a place to set drinks or whatever else they needed at their bedside.

I wanted the shelves to have the wooden plank look, so we used 1×2 inch furring strips from Lowes. We cut them to the size we needed, stained them with Minwax wood stain in Provincial (OMG I used a different color other than Dark Walnut! Shocking right?), then attached them all together with two strips underneath and screws.

Industrial Stool Nightstands

Industrial Stool Nightstands

Industrial Stool Nightstands

The two attached bottom wood strips sit perfectly into the crossbars to give it some stability too. I wanted these to be removable and not actually attached to the stool. They turned out pretty much exactly how I pictured.

ashelf7

Industrial Stool Nightstands

Industrial Stool Nightstands

ashelf11

Industrial Stool Nightstands

Industrial Stool Nightstands

The reason I wanted them to be removable is the best part! They can also be used as trays for guests! Nothing is better than a project with dual purpose!

Industrial Stool Nightstands

So easy, so functional! What do you think of my industrial stool nightstands?

You can also find me on Instagram & Facebook for extras! And subscribe on the sidebar for emails!

Happy St. Pattys! Have a wonderful day friends!

Ashley

• Reply Mama Fortel March 17, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Looks great! Happy St. Pat’s Day to you too!

• Reply Paige.Rose March 17, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Such a cute & simple idea! Love it!!!

Happy week , Ashley

• Reply Ashley Broviak March 18, 2015 at 7:06 am

Thanks Paige! Super simple! The best kind of DIYs!

• Reply Tabatha@ChicByTab May 27, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Very industrial. Love it! Come share your post at my party. Hope to see you there. http://chicbytab.blogspot.ca/2015/05/chic-by-you-wednesday-linky-party-8.html

• Reply Ashley Broviak June 4, 2015 at 9:16 pm

I will definitely have to stop by! Thanks for visiting!

• Reply Carolyn @ Our Gilded Abode June 20, 2015 at 9:59 pm

What a great find! The stools are just awesome – love the color of the metal and the wood stain you used for the shelves is just perfect. So glad I found you via Worthing Court’s link party. Great industrial look – and multipurpose is always good! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Carol August 3, 2015 at 10:56 pm

Hi! Would you mind sharing where you found the darling lamps….and what saying is framed above the bed? This is just beautiful! Thank you in advance!!

• Reply Ashley Broviak August 4, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Of course! I bought the lamps from Home Goods, and I actually still see them there and at TJ Maxx sometimes! The saying above my bed is a sign made from an awesome Etsy shop named Maebels. You should check them out! I love love love it! Thanks for the sweet comments and for stopping by!!!

• Reply Carol August 5, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Thank you Ashley!! I am obsessed with Home Goods and can’t believe I haven’t seen these! I’ll keep my eyes peeled! I’m also going to check out Maebels…very excited! You’re so awesome to reply so quickly! 🙂 I’ll keep stopping by!

• Reply Meredith October 27, 2015 at 10:43 am

Do u know if they are counter or bar height?

• Reply Ashley Broviak November 5, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Hi there! They are bar height and work pretty great with our bed as night stands!

• Reply Melanie February 26, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Love those!! This post was especially helpful because I painted a couple wooden barstools that I am using as nightstands, but wasn’t sure how to attach a shelf. I love your idea of dual purpose. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Ashley Broviak April 6, 2016 at 10:05 pm

I love this! It was super simple to add that little shelf! I bet it will turn out great with your bar stools too!

• Reply Farmhouse Guest Bedroom - Little Glass Jar March 16, 2016 at 1:13 am

[…] The nightstands in this room happen to be one of my better ideas. My husband and I found these metal industrial stools on sale for only $14 a piece so we bought four of them! At the time we had no use for them, so I decided to use them in the room as nightstands until we got some new ones. Eventually I just turned them into functional pieces for this room that I absolutely love. See the full Industrial Stool Nightstands [here].  […]

• Reply Alanna Hager August 18, 2016 at 9:45 am

I love this so much! Do you know the model of the stools by chance?

• Reply Ashley Broviak August 23, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Thanks! Unfortunately I don’t know the model, so sorry! We got them at Sams Club and I don’t even remember them have a tag or anything! I’ve seen similar ones at Walmart though!

• Reply Industrial Stool Nightstands… – XmasGive.com – Bedding Ideas August 28, 2016 at 1:51 am

[…] Previous Previous post: Easy Headboard that anyone can do! #wood #headboard… Search for: […]

• Reply Angie December 6, 2016 at 8:59 am

Im just finding your site as I am about to move into my first home and so eager to achieve the modern farmhouse look! Love your ideas! I have one question…do these stools seem not so sturdy on top of carpet? loving the look and functionality but wondering if they would be knocked over easily? Thank you

• Reply Ashley Broviak January 5, 2017 at 12:20 am

Congrats on your first home!!! That is so so exciting! These stools are completely sturdy on carpet, and we just got new laminate floors and they work well on them too! I think if you have enough weight on them like we do, they won’t tip over! Hope this helps!

• Reply Industrial Stool Nightstands – Little Glass Jar – Best Home Decorating Ideas December 14, 2016 at 5:11 pm

[…] Source: littleglassjar.com […]