DIY

Farmers Market Sign

Hello there! I am back and getting lots of projects done to share with you all here in the next few days!!! The project I am sharing today is probably one of my favorite DIY projects I have done to date. I love old signs. Like really, really love them. I feel like they add so much character to a room.  I have been wanting one in my kitchen for a while now but I could never find one that was reasonably priced or had the simplicity of what I wanted., so I decided to try and make my own. Surprisingly, this was very simple to do, but it is a little time consuming so it did take a few days to finish. The end product was definitely worth it though!

I started by going to Home Depot and buying just a raw board that was good size for the sign I wanted. It was perfect in width but a little bit too long, so I just make the necessary adjustments with our jigsaw. If you don’t have a saw at home, Home Depot will cut it for you for free, all you have to do is ask!  I knew I was going to sand the end product to make it look old so I stained the board first with my favorite Minwax Wood Finish in Dark Walnut, therefore when I sanded it, you would see the dark wood instead of the light raw board.

asign1

After the stain was dry, I painted over it with Martha Stewart Crafts Ivory antique paint that I purchased at Michaels. While that was drying I went to my computer and played around with different fonts for the sign. I wanted it to read Farmers Market to go along with the my farmhouse design style. The font I used is called Modern No. 20. When you print out the letters you want to rotate them so they are reversed and backwards, so when you place the letters on the sign, the ink is on the back of the paper and your words are directed correctly.  Once you have them positioned on your sign as you want it to read, tape them down.

asign2

asign3

In order for the letters to transfer onto your board, you will use a small paint brush, dip it into water, and simply brush over each letter until it is wet enough for the letter to stick to the board. Then you want to use the cap of a Sharpie to lightly scribble over the letters.

asignaa

The ink from the paper will transfer onto your board to give you a faded template to paint over.

asign6

I then used black craft paint and very tiny paint brushes to hand paint in the letters. I let it dry overnight then used a fine grit sandpaper block to give it the old effect I love. I hope you love my DIY Farmers Market Sign as much as I do!!!

asign7

asign8

asign14

asign9

asign11

asign12

asign10

Ashley

• Reply Chris Bumeter October 15, 2014 at 10:46 am

That is pretty awesome, and looks SUPER simple. keep up the blog, it looks like it’s going great! 🙂

• Reply Ashley Broviak October 16, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Thanks so much Chris!!! And it was super easy! I appreciate the kind words!!! 🙂

• Reply Emma October 15, 2014 at 11:00 am

LOVE IT! I am getting ready to do something similar for a sign in the chicken coop! Figures crossed it turns out as fabulous as yours 🙂

• Reply Ashley Broviak October 16, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Thanks Emma!!! I’m sure yours will turn out perfect!!! Send me pics!!!

• Reply Erin @ Meadow Lake Road October 16, 2014 at 9:59 pm

I never knew the trick about using water on your paper to transfer the ink! So cool! And your sign is absolutely lovely 🙂

• Reply Bridget January 5, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Hi Ashley, love this project! What a great idea for someone who doesn’t have a silhouette machine. I am enjoying reading through your blog!

• Reply Silex in the City January 28, 2015 at 10:31 pm

This is FABULOUS!!!!! I will certainly be trying this out. I think it would work great as a wedding shower gift as well using the bride’s future last name!

• Reply Wood Shim Sign - April 15, 2015 at 11:01 pm

[…] so today I have another DIY sign I made for you to check out. This one is even easier than the Farmers Market sign I posted yesterday. I’ve seen a lot of projects done with Wood Shims and knew I wanted […]

• Reply Stacey February 11, 2016 at 4:23 pm

This looks great! Thank you for sharing your project. Do you think you could do this on canvas instead of wood?

• Reply Ashley Broviak April 6, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Thanks so much Stacey! I have not tried it out on canvas, but I could see it possibly working! The only thing I would be nervous about would be the ink bleeding on the canvas when you paint over it with the water to transfer the letters. If you try, please let me know how it works!

• Reply My First Blogiversary + Giveaway - Little Glass Jar March 30, 2016 at 6:19 pm

[…] readers, I am giving away my most popular project here on Little Glass Jar, and that is my DIY Farmers Market Sign. I hope you enter! And I really really hope that you stick around and see what I have in store for […]

• Reply DIY Farmhouse Signs You Can Easily Make Yourself April 21, 2016 at 9:11 am

[…] As you can see I have a love for simple black and white farmhouse signs and this “Farmers Market” sign is no exception! It will just bring the wow into your desired space. By Little Glass Jar […]

• Reply Tina Martinucci July 16, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Not sure but the ink did not transfer to the wood. I printed the letters from a ink jet printer, taped it down, applied water on it and traced over it with the sharpie just like the instructions. When I peeled the paper back, nothing!! Is there a time limit from when I print the graphic to the water down process??

• Reply Ashley Broviak July 28, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Oh no! I’m so sorry you are having trouble! This may be a silly question, but did you flip the letters backwards on your computer program (I used Word) before you printed them? The ink has to touch the wood, then you brush over the non-ink side of the paper. If that makes no sense, shoot me an email (ashleybroviak@littleglassjar.com). Thanks Tina!

• Reply Desiree August 17, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Hi Ashley! This application did not work for me either. The ink didn’t transfer over. Not sure if the type of printer ink matters? I did everything else exactly how you placed it too. Gorgeous sign though!

• Reply hayley September 3, 2016 at 6:26 pm

hey ashley, this worked great! Also where did you get your kitchen chairs from around the table, i need 2 and i love yours. Thanks!

• Reply Ashley Broviak September 7, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Glad it worked out! The chairs are windsor back from Overstock.com! I still love them 🙂

• Reply Ruth September 14, 2016 at 10:09 am

Ashley you are so talented! Love this sign and all your other diy’s! Question, where do I get that font?

• Reply 17 Fab DIY Farmhouse Signs You Can Make Yourself October 25, 2016 at 11:06 am

[…] Tutorial: http://www.littleglassjar.com […]

• Reply pat bass December 2, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Hi There,
    I just bought the same MS paint as you did. Did you dilute it all? Or just use as is? Also did you dry brush it on or do anything to give it the nice effect yours has?
    Sorry for all of the questions. I just really like it and want to try and get the same look.

• Reply Ashley Broviak January 5, 2017 at 12:14 am

So sorry for the delayed response Pat! I didn’t dilute the paint at all! I just used a sponge brush and painted it as normal. I get the worn look by going over the whole board once its painted with dry letters with my sander. That is where the magic happens! Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Reply Stacy Jenkins June 30, 2017 at 6:10 am