DIY

Rustic Blanket Ladder

I have been wanting a blanket ladder  f o r e v e r.  Every time I come across an old ladder in an antique shop I just want to buy it so badly! The same thing stops me every time. That little thought that pops into my head that asks how easy would this be to make? A lot of things I come across that I love and want end up being the easiest DIY projects that have turned out just as good. This one is one of those projects. So so simple, and way cheaper than it would have been to buy. This is why I love being a DIYer. I get to make and create things completely tailored to my specific taste. When a project turns out exactly how I imagined, it doesn’t get any better than that. So here we go, the easiest DIY Rustic Blanket Ladder ever!

DIY Blanket Ladder

I headed to Lowes and grabbed some wood that I thought would work best for the look I was going for. I wanted the ladder to be tall but not too chunky, if that makes sense. I ended up getting Common 2×2 Premium Furring Strips for the two legs, and 1×2 Top Choice Whitewood Board for the steps across. We cut the strips to 6ft tall and each of the five steps were 17in across. I spaced them how I wanted them and just nailed them on top of the legs rather than to the insides. I like how it made the ladder look a bit more rustic.

DIY Blanket Ladder

I used Minwax Provincial wood stain on the ladder, which might be my new favorite stain. Well at least for now! I like the lighter look of it on this wood.

DIY Blanket Ladder

DIY Blanket Ladder

DIY Blanket Ladder

DIY Blanket Ladder

DIY Blanket Ladder

DIY Blanet Ladder

DIY Blanket Ladder

What do you think? I like the addition to our guest bedroom. Hope you do too!

• Reply emma June 3, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Love it!!!

• Reply Mel June 3, 2015 at 8:47 pm

You’re the best!! I’ve been trying to find something to add to our Master bedroom and this is IT!

• Reply Ashley Broviak June 4, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Yay!!! So glad this will work!!! It was super easy to make! Let me know if you need help girl! Xoxo!

• Reply Mama Fortel June 3, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Great idea and budget friendly:+)

• Reply Ashley Broviak June 4, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Yes! Very budget friendly. The wood cost less than 5 bucks!

• Reply Krysta June 3, 2015 at 11:17 pm

I LOVE THIS!! GENIUS!

• Reply Wendy Durnwald June 3, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Love it! Great job!

• Reply Shannon [Our Home Notebook] June 7, 2015 at 3:02 pm

I love the rustic, simplicity of this. It’s beautiful!

• Reply Devan August 4, 2015 at 3:14 pm

I love this! I definitely want to make it but did you also nail a “step” on the back side of the ladder (in the very middle, where the blanket is hanging)?

• Reply Ashley Broviak August 4, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Hey there! Yes we did, I probably should have added that! It’s just for a little more stability because I wasn’t sure how heavy the blankets I was going to hang on it were ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply 6 Easy Organizing Ideas- Brag Worthy Thursday #11 - HAWTHORNE & MAIN January 7, 2016 at 4:01 am

[…] Glass Jar: DIY Rustic Blanket Ladder – Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter | […]

• Reply 6 Easy Organizing Ideas + BWT #11 - Bless'er House January 7, 2016 at 5:01 am

[…] Glass Jar: DIY Rustic Blanket Ladderย – Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter | […]

• Reply 6 Easy Organizing Ideas + BWT #11 - Little Glass Jar January 7, 2016 at 5:01 am

• Reply lisa j January 7, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Finally one i can do! What REALLY caught my eye was your perfect grey shade on your wall- what brand / color is this as I’m in process of selecting one for 2 of my main living areas and this is the perfect grey without it looking blue (a never ending battle)

• Reply Tessa Kirby February 18, 2016 at 11:48 am

Ashely! I love this!!! I too did a blanket ladder a while back but not from scratch like you! You are making me want to take on this simple DIY project! I would love to collaborate with you!! I am a mommy blogger emphasizing in DIY projects and interior design! Would love for you to check it out!!

• Reply Ashley Broviak April 6, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Tessa! Your blog is beautiful! I would love to collaborate! Shoot me an email and maybe we can come up with something! Xo!

• Reply Farmhouse Guest Bedroom - Little Glass Jar March 16, 2016 at 1:14 am

[…] Other decorative touches to our farmhouse guest bedroom include a coat rack I gave a bit of a makeover, an old stool, some barnwood framed farm art (not pictured) and a DIY Rustic Blanket Ladder [here]. […]

• Reply Carli September 2, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Awesome! I just bought try wood to try this. Hiw far apart are your rungs?

• Reply Ashley Broviak September 7, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Awesome! There is a 10.5 inch gap in between each rung ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Courtney frost October 19, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Does the stain leave any marks on the blankets you put on it?

• Reply Ashley Broviak October 25, 2016 at 6:05 pm

Nope! I let it dry COMPLETELY for a few days before I put any on it, especially the white ones ๐Ÿ™‚