Furniture Redo

Farmhouse Desk

I spent a ton of time working on our office this weekend. One day I think it’s almost done, the next day I am wanting to redo it all again. It’s been a very slow process to say the least. The desk that I was using in the space when I worked from home was pretty beat up, and very much not my style anymore. It was just a simple dark brown, modern desk from Target that I’ve had for years. I’ve been on the lookout for a new one, but spending money on a new desk is pretty low on my list of priorities right now. I decided to try and salvage the old before getting rid of it, and as always, I am so so glad I did.

My plans for this desk were pretty simple. I wanted to paint the body of it white and add a plank wood top, to see if I could turn it into a cute little farmhouse desk. I ran the plans by my husband and we were off to our local hardware store for supplies.

Farmhouse Desk Makeover. 10

MATERIALS:

• Primer Spray Paint
  • Flat White Spray Paint
  • Saw
  • 4 1×6 White Board cut to 4ft
  • Wood Stain
  • 16 1 1/2 inch Galvanized Common Nails

First I used Primer in a spray can to spray the desk so all of the imperfections were covered.  I then used two coats of white spray paint in flat to spray over the dry primer.

Farmhouse Desk Makeover. 11

I let the desk dry overnight, in the meantime we cut a total of 4 1×6 boards to 4ft in length so there would be a little over an inch of overhang on all sides on the top of the desk. After they were cut to size I stained the boards with a dark wood stain and let those dry overnight as well.  Once everything was good and dry, we used 1 1/2 inch nails to nail the boards onto the top of the desk.

Farmhouse Desk Makeover. 7

I am not even kidding you when I say this was one of the easiest projects we have done to date, which such an impact! I am in love with my new farmhouse desk! I still cannot believe how simple and cheap this was to salvage. My favorite part of decorating has got to be when I can completely transform something I am about to throw away, into something I fall totally in love with again.

Farmhouse Desk Makeover. 5

We also added a little crystal knob to the drawer on the front to give the desk that much more character and make it more functional. I had a great time decorating our office now that I have this adorable desk to work with!

Farmhouse Desk Makeover. 8

Farmhouse Desk Makeover. 9

Farmhouse Desk Makeover. 6

Farmhouse Desk Makeover. 3

Farmhouse Desk Makeover. 1

Farmhouse Desk Makeover. 4

Farmhouse Desk Makeover. 8

Now I just want to go find a bunch of old furniture and add a plank top to it! Do you love it? I am already so excited to be sitting at this new desk writing this blog post. I see a lot more time spent in this office now that it is looking so pretty!

• Reply Paige.Rose August 31, 2015 at 12:52 am

Seriously superrr cute!! I love that it’s practical, cute & functional!! I need a new desk sooo bad, but can’t justify paying $350..I love that you made yours & bonus it’s perfection like the whole office!!

Paige.Rose
    from

• Reply Ashley Broviak August 31, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Thank you so so much!!! So many sweet comments from you, thanks for always stopping in to visit girl!

• Reply Silex in the City August 31, 2015 at 10:30 am

I love this! I have been wanting a white desk, and haven’t been seeing a ton that fits the bill but this could open up my options a bit. I told myself I wouldn’t buy anything else until I’m done unpacking, but now I scoured Craigslist.

• Reply Ashley Broviak August 31, 2015 at 5:27 pm

It’s crazy what you can tweak when you can’t find exactly what you are looking for 🙂

• Reply Elizabeth@ Rustic Maple August 31, 2015 at 7:51 pm

That is a great desk makeover and a lovely room. Totally my favourite colours too. I finished a desk a few weeks ago too. Love your blog name! I’m following along on Instagram and bloglovin’ now. Looking forward to seeing more of your home and projects. Hope you can stop by sometime.

• Reply Ashley Broviak August 31, 2015 at 11:35 pm

Awe, thank you so much for all of your kind words, I really appreciate you taking the time to visit! I hope you stick around! Xoxo!

• Reply Melissa August 31, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Love this! Can you tell me what stain you used?

• Reply Ashley Broviak August 31, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Thanks so much! The stain I used was Minwax Provincial! That and Dark Walnut are my two “go to” stain colors!

• Reply Melissa September 1, 2015 at 5:31 am

Thanks!

• Reply Michelle@DandelionPatina September 1, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Amazing what a little paint and wood can do! I love the new look and your office is coming along fantastically. I love it all Ashley!

• Reply Ashley Broviak September 5, 2015 at 11:35 pm

Thanks girl!!! Paint + wood is the best! I want to go put some planked wood on everything now! Haha!

• Reply Sara @ The Fat Hydrangea September 2, 2015 at 2:30 pm

How am I only now stumbling across your blog? Totally love it! Our styles are so similar and I love love love your site! 🙂 Definitely a new follower!

• Reply Ashley Broviak September 5, 2015 at 11:38 pm

Sara! I LOVE EVERYTHING YOU DO! Haha! I have been following you for a while because you are so similar to me! So glad you are following now girl 🙂

• Reply Megan September 27, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Love how you did the top! Beautiful!

• Reply Ashley Broviak September 29, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Thank you so much Megan! I am a sucker for stained plank tops!

• Reply 5 Amazing Christmas Home Tours December 10, 2015 at 4:00 am

[…] Glass Jar: Farmhouse Desk – Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter | […]

• Reply Pam @ The Birch Cottage December 10, 2015 at 9:24 pm

I love this makeover! Don’t you just love it when you take something that you feel like is wrong in every way and make it something that feels right at home?! I’ve been on the lookout for a table that I can do exactly this to. Thanks for giving me hope!
    Pam @ The Birch Cottage recently posted…Sugar Hand Scrub PrintablesMy Profile

• Reply Brag Worthy Thursday- 8 - HAWTHORNE & MAIN December 14, 2015 at 8:39 am

[…] Christmas Home Tour 2015 – Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter | G+ Little Glass Jar: Farmhouse Desk – Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter | G+ Meadow Lake Road: Coffee Sack Bulletin […]

• Reply 5 DIY Wreath Ideas- Brag Worthy Thursday #10 - HAWTHORNE & MAIN December 31, 2015 at 8:52 am

• Reply 5 Amazing Christmas Home Tours & BWT #8 - Little Glass Jar January 15, 2016 at 7:54 pm

• Reply Bethany May 28, 2016 at 11:49 am

What color stain did you use for the planks??

• Reply Ashley Broviak May 30, 2016 at 9:30 pm

I used my go-to stain, Minwax Dark Walnut. It’s my all time favorite!

• Reply Vintage Home Office - Little Glass Jar July 18, 2016 at 12:57 am

[…] still love this Farmhouse Desk Makeover we made out of an old modern Target desk. It was such a cheap and easy way to update a piece of […]

• Reply Julie November 20, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Love the desk! I’m stealing this idea. I do have a question… what color are the walls in your office?